Herbal Justice is a term used to describe the interconnected nature of herbalism and social and environmental justice. The health and healing of every individual is dependent on the health and healing of our society and the earth itself.
Our mission is to nurture individual, social, and ecological health through herbal medicine.
Through herbal justice, we strive to create a space where shifts in habits, systems, and thinking can move away from white supremacy, patriarchy, and wasteful consumerism and towards respect for people and the planet, inclusivity, and listening to historically silenced voices, with the goal of contributing to a world in which people are respected as individuals, and can thrive.
We are committed to creating a space for the community and ourselves where we can work towards healing cultural wounds. We are always learning and striving to do better. We don’t have all the answers, and sometimes we mess up. We are open to feedback, and are committed to keeping the conversation going.
This is how we are currently implementing herbal justice at Railyard Apothecary:
- Herbal Justice Fund: This fund provides reparations to BIPOC (black, indigenous, people of color) community members and financial aid to folks with limited resources to attend workshops, buy herbal medicine, and utilize clinic services. Learn more about the Herbal Justice Fund here.
- Collective decision making: we use a consensus model of decision making. We are a worker-owned cooperative where each employee has one vote in governance. Eliminating hierarchy allows us to move away from a patriarchal model of running a business. We hope to set an example for other businesses and entrepreneurs seeking to build and grow more ethical business. Learn more about worker co-ops here: www.veoc.org/
- Conscious consumerism: We’re all about buying in bulk. This allows customers to eliminate waste by bringing in their own jars, bags, and bottles. We charge extra for bottles, and we give a discount for each reused container that is brought in for bulk purchases. We prioritize products with minimal packaging, and source locally whenever possible. We now have a Jar Fillers Club to encourage customers to bring their own reusable containers for bulk herbs. Learn more below.
- Conservation: Protecting at-risk and endangered plants and other beings is important to us. We encourage our customers to use alternatives to over-harvested herbs. We only source sustainably grown and wild-crafted herbs. We support United Plant Savers, an organization dedicated to the preservation of wild herb species. We are a business member of United Plant Savers. As a member of UpS, our membership dollars support the various conservation programs.
- Education: We teach community classes which aim to help people feel empowered in their own health. Herbalism is the medicine of the people, for the people. It is affordable, preventative, and life-affirming. Classes on basic health issues as well as DIY topics allow folx to work with herbs at home and make their own remedies. We ourselves are also always learning. We are committed to educating ourselves, especially on topics related to herbal justice.
- Community: We offer a variety of gatherings and events for members of our community to connect, share, and be. To learn more, check out our upcoming events on our Classes and Events page.
- A portion of retail sales go to support Zenbarn Farm's Equity Fund
Jar Fillers Club
Anyone, member or non-member, is invited to get one of our new "jar-fillers" cards.
This punch card is used any time you bring your own jar, bag, or bottle to fill bulk herbs.
For every $10 spent on bulk herbs going into your own jar, bag, or bottle, you earn one star.
Earn ten stars and get $10 off your next purchase.