Our mission is to nurture individual, social, and ecological health through herbal medicine.
Through herbal justice, we strive to create a space where shifts in habits, systems, and thinking can move away from white supremacy, patriarchy, and wasteful consumerism and towards respect for people and the planet, inclusivity, and listening to historically silenced voices, with the goal of contributing to a world in which people are respected as individuals, and can thrive.
We are committed to creating a space for the community and ourselves where we can work towards healing cultural wounds. We are always learning and striving to do better. We don’t have all the answers, and sometimes we mess up. We are open to feedback, and are committed to keeping the conversation going.
This is how we are currently implementing herbal justice:
- Collective decision making: we use a consensus model of decision making. We are a worker-owned cooperative where each employee has one vote in governance. Eliminating hierarchy allows us to move away from a patriarchal model of running a business. We hope to set an example for other businesses and entrepreneurs seeking to build and grow more ethical business. Learn more about worker co-ops here: www.veoc.org/
- Conscious consumerism: We’re all about buying in bulk. This allows customers to eliminate waste by bringing in their own jars, bags, and bottles. We charge extra for bottles, and we give a discount for each reused container that is brought in for bulk purchases.We prioritize products with minimal packaging, and source locally whenever possible. We now have a Jar Fillers Club. For every ten dollars spent on herbs that go into your own containers, you get a star. Fill your card with ten stars and get $10 off next time you come in!
- Conservation: Protecting at-risk and endangered plants and other beings is important to us. We encourage our customers to use alternatives to over-harvested herbs. We only source sustainably grown and wild-crafted herbs. We support United Plant Savers, an organization dedicated to the preservation of wild herb species. We are a business member of United Plant Savers. As a member of UpS, our membership dollars support the following programs:
- UpS Internship Program
- Botanical Sanctuary Network
- Forest Grown Verification Program
- Seed and Root Distribution
- UpS Community Grants
- The Journal of Medicinal Plant Conservation
- Community Outreach
- 2 AmeriCorps Positions
- Conservation Activism
- Goldenseal Propagation Pilot Program
- Forest Farming Grower’s Manual
- and more!
- Education: We teach community classes which aim to help people feel empowered in their own health. Herbalism is the medicine of the people, for the people. It is affordable, preventative, and life-affirming. Classes on basic health issues as well as DIY topics allow folx to work with herbs at home and make their own remedies. We ourselves are also always learning. We are committed to educating ourselves, especially on topics related to herbal justice.
- Community: We offer a variety of gatherings and events for members of our community to connect, share, and be. To learn more, check out our upcoming events on our Classes and Events page.
- Herbal Justice Fund: This fund provides scholarships and financial aid to BIPOC (black, indigenous, people of color) as well as low-income folks to attend workshops, buy herbs, and utilize clinic services. Learn more about the Herbal Justice Fund here
- Cannabis Awareness Campaign: All suppliers of hemp products are requests to donate 3.5% of their sales (deducted on invoices), to be matched by RYA. These donations are given quarterly (or biannually) to a chosen organization that works to reduce inequality and increase awareness of the injustices surrounding the cannabis industry and cannabis incarceration. Our current partner is VCJR (Vermonters for Criminal Justice Reform).
Jar Fillers Club
Anyone, member or non-member, is invited to get one of our new "jar-fillers" cards.
This punch card is used any time you bring your own jar, bag, or bottle to fill bulk herbs.
For every $10 spent on bulk herbs going into your own jar, bag, or bottle, you earn one star.
Earn ten stars and get $10 off your next purchase.